On Sunday, April 28, the Foothill Gold Line Construction Authority will be testing a newly installed underground communication system for the freight train system that runs through the cities of Azusa, Glendora and San Dimas requiring stoppage of all traffic across the rail corridor for approximately 3-5 minutes each test run, with the possibility of longer delays. The testing will require a freight train (Metrolink or BNSF locomotive) to run at 40 miles per hour (MPH) between Barranca Ave. in Glendora and Gladstone Ave. in San Dimas. The testing involves several trials on the active freight corridor to ensure the new communication system will activate and deactivate the train signals at all street crossings. Additional streets east and west of those being tested will also be impacted to allow the train to accelerate and decelerate; see the list below. The communication system’s testing is part of the initial construction activities for the Foothill Gold Line light rail project being built from Azusa to Montclair.
- Train testing will take place on Sunday, April 28, 2019 from 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
Intersection/rail crossings affected during the testing include:
- City of Azusa: Virginia Ave., San Gabriel Ave., Azusa Ave., Dalton Ave. and Pasadena Ave.
- City of Glendora: Barranca Ave., Foothill/Grand Ave., Vermont Ave., Glendora Ave., Pasadena Ave., Glenwood Ave., Elwood Ave., Loraine Ave., Lone Hill Ave. and Gladstone Ave.
- City of San Dimas: Gladstone Ave., Eucla Ave., Bonita/Cataract Ave., Monte Vista Ave.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Expect 3-5 minutes of delays at the railroad crossings periodically throughout the day, with the potential for longer delays.
- A Metrolink or BNSF locomotive will begin on the west side (Azusa) or east side (San Dimas) of the city of Glendora and accelerate to 40 miles per hour through Glendora, activating the train signals and crossing gates at all street crossings (see list above). Once the train reaches the end of the testing segment, another trial run will begin in the opposite direction. A total of six successful runs complete the testing, which could require the testing to occur from 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
- Testing will take place on Sunday, April 28, 2019.
- The train’s horn will be sounded as it approaches each street crossing.
- Safety officials, called Flaggers, will assist with traffic management at the intersection/rail crossings being tested between Barranca Ave in Glendora and Gladstone Ave in San Dimas as the train passes.
- Pedestrian access via the sidewalks will remain open; however, pedestrian traffic will also be stopped when the train is approaching.
For Question Contact
Yesenia Arias, Community Relations Manager
Foothill Gold Line Construction Authority(626) 305-7012 firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the dynamic nature of construction, this information subject to change. Learn the latest by signing up for Construction Alerts at foothillgoldline.org