With Christmas a few days away, the Glendora Police Department is offering these simple tips to protect against would-be thieves and burglars from putting a damper on your holiday joy:
- Be extra cautious and remember to lock doors and windows when you leave the house, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
- When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house, pick up your newspapers and mail.
- You can also sign up with GPD for the Vacation House Check by visiting our department in person or online at our website, a service provided by the GPD Auxiliaries.
- Consider placing indoor lights on an automatic timer, outdoor lights can be placed on a timer or you can install the motion detector type.
- Leaving a radio or television playing while you are out sounds like the home is occupied. Any electronic device around the home can be placed on timers as well.
- During the holidays try not to display your gifts in the window where they can be seen from the street.
- After the holidays, instead of displaying large boxes from electronic gifts into your trash containers, consider breaking them down and turning them inside out so that passersby will not know what new items you have received.
All of these tips can help you make your holiday a safer one at home.
Please call the Glendora Police Department if you see cars or people loitering in your neighborhood that you don’t recognize at (626) 914-8250.