A Glendora resident in his 50s was hospitalized Saturday night after causing significant injuries to his hands while igniting aerial fireworks.
The man, a resident in the 1300 block of South Prospero Drive, had some fingers and portions of both hands amputated while igniting aerial fireworks, said Glendora Police Sgt. Mike Randazzo. The man was transported to Foothill Presbyterian Hospital before being taken to County/USC Medical Center.
Police received the 911 call at 7:26 p.m.
Responding officers found the man had many types of illegal fireworks in his possession, but Randazzo did not immediately know what other types were found. The man was alone in his yard while lighting off the fireworks.
There were signs that the man had been drinking Saturday night, said Sgt. Marty Barrett.
“I thinks it lets Glendora residents know that fireworks not only pose a real fire danger, but also illegal airborne fireworks are incredibly dangerous,” said Glendora Police Chief Tim Staab. “Glendora PD is still investigating, but no charges are expected based on his severe injuries.”
Glendora Police received 64 calls regarding fireworks during July 4.
Zak Bushey contributed to this story.